Trying to figure out what class is right for you? This chart (PDF) will help for Grades 3–12.
Experiments in Media
Adventures in Media: Fantastical Filmmaking
The Sounds of Blue Sky Studios
Here and There
A Taste of Animation
Stretch your imagination. Explore character, place, light, time, sound, and composition as you create a series of hands-on projects using the state-of-the-art tools at the Lab. This course provides a fantastic introduction to the many possibilities of creative media making.
• Discover the possibilities of filmmaking and beyond.
• Work with live-action video, 2-D and 3-D animation, interactive media and design, sound recording, motion graphics, digital photography, and more.
• Use HD video and software such as Final Cut Pro, GarageBand, Flash, Dragonframe, and Photoshop.
• Every semester ends with a screening and exhibition for family and friends!
Experiments in Media explores different themes, skills, and styles every semester. Together, two semesters of Experiments in Media provide a solid foundation in story and craft.
12 Mondays, Sept. 10–Dec. 17
(no class Sept. 17, Oct. 8, Nov. 12)
Class size: 8 • Program ID: C71FA12A
ADVENTURES IN MEDIA: FANTASTICAL FILMMAKING
In this exciting intermediate-level course, you’ll create the impossible through stories, sets, make-up, and special effects! Take your creative and technical storymaking skills to the next level in a series of short, challenging projects.
• Invent wild characters, aliens, creatures, and more.
• Create special effects and magical illusions.
• Make short films and projects from fantasy, sci-fi, and your imagination.
• Prerequisites: Two semesters of Experiments in Media or a minimum of two courses at the Media Arts Lab.
6 Wednesdays, Oct. 31–Dec. 12 (no class Nov. 21)
Class size: 8 • Program ID: C86FA12Af
BLUE SKY STUDIOS AT THE JBFC
A member of the Blue Sky Studios team will participate in these special programs presented in collaboration with the Katonah Museum of Art (KMA).
THE SOUNDS OF BLUE SKY STUDIOS
Recreate the voice and sound effects of a scene from an animated Blue Sky film.
Saturday, Oct. 13
10:00 am–1:00 pm
Class size: 9 • Program ID: C97FA12A
Tour the KMA exhibition “Ice Age to the Digital Age” and then come to the Lab for a hands-on project.
Saturday, Oct. 20
10:00 am–noon at KMA,
1:30 pm–3:30 pm at the Lab
Class size: 9 • Program ID: C93FA12A
Bring characters, places, and stories to life through the magic of animation.
• Create stop-motion animated films using clay, paper, sand, and other fun materials.
• Invent original characters and creatures, and put them in your story.
Saturday, Oct. 27
10:00 am–12:30 pm
Class size: 9 • Program ID: C02FA12C